How To Relieve Tension In Your Neck And Shoulders
1. Neck stretch
The neck stretch is a deep stretch that eases tension in your neck and helps improve your range of motion.
- Stand tall with your left arm at your side.
- Place your right hand on your head with your fingers pointing to the left side.
- Gently pull your head toward the right side until you feel a stretch in the left side of your neck.
- Hold for 20 to 30 seconds and return to center.
- Repeat on left side.
- Do 2 to 3 times on each side.
2. Neck release
The neck release is a gentle way to loosen tension in both your shoulders and neck.
- Stand tall with both arms at your sides.
- Lower your head and bring your chin toward your chest.
- Gently tilt your head towards the right side and pause for 30 seconds. You should feel a stretch in the left side of your neck.
- Bring your head back to the center and lift to the starting position.
- Repeat before changing sides.
- Do 3 to 5 times on each side.
3. Child’s Pose
Child’s Pose or Balasana is a well-known yoga pose that can help relieve neck and back pain. It’s also a gentle stretch that helps you relax.
- Get on your hands and knees with your palms flat on the floor, wrists under your shoulders, and knees under your hips.
- Sit back on your heels, lengthen your spine, and walk your hands in front of you. Make sure to hinge at your hips.
- Fold forward and keep your arms extended in front of you.
- Hold this position for 60 to 90 seconds. Focus on your breath while you release tension in your neck and shoulders.
- Return to the starting position and repeat.
- Do 2 to 3 times.