Learn More About Testosterone Replacement Therapy
Can You Benefit From Testosterone Replacement Therapy?
Many men with low testosterone report improved energy levels, sex drive, and mood after testosterone treatment. If your testosterone is low you may want to consider Testosterone Replacement Therapy.
Only men with symptoms of low testosterone and blood levels that confirm this as the cause of symptoms should consider testosterone replacement which is why talking with your doctor is the best way to know if it is right for you.
Symptoms of Low Testosterone You May Not Know About
The symptoms of low testosterone can be obvious, but they also can be subtle. Testosterone levels do decline naturally in men as they age, however, certain conditions can also lead to an abnormally low level. Symptoms of low testosterone include:
- Low sex drive (libido)
- Erectile dysfunction
- Fatigue and poor energy level
- Decreased muscle mass
- Body and facial hair loss
- Difficulty concentrating
- Low sense of well-being
If you are experiencing symptoms of low testosterone and tests show abnormally low testosterone level, a doctor may suggest treatment. For millions of men who have low testosterone levels but no symptoms, no treatment is currently recommended. It has also not been approved for treating men with low levels because of aging.
Forms of Testosterone Supplements
Testosterone replacement therapy is available in several forms. All can improve testosterone levels:
- Skin patch (transdermal) – Androderm is a skin patch worn on the arm or upper body. It’s applied once a day.
- Gels – AndroGel and Testim come in packets of clear testosterone gel. Testosterone is absorbed directly through the skin when you apply the gel once a day. AndroGel, Axiron, and Fortesta also come in a pump that delivers the amount of testosterone prescribed by your doctor. Natesto is a gel applied inside the nose.
- Mouth patch – Striant is a tablet that sticks to the upper gums above the incisor, the tooth just to the right or left of the two front teeth. Applied twice a day, it continuously releases testosterone into the blood through the oral tissues.
- Injections and implants – Testosterone can also be injected directly into the muscles, or implanted as pellets in the soft tissues. Your body slowly absorbs the testosterone into the bloodstream.
The Benefits of Testosterone Therapy
Many men report improvement in energy level, sex drive, and quality of erections. Testosterone also increases bone density, muscle mass, and insulin sensitivity in some men.
Men also often report an improvement in mood from testosterone replacement. Whether these effects are barely noticeable, or a major boost, is highly individualized.